Friday, April 19, 2013

LWD Design Team Showcase: Spellbinders Nestabilities & Stampers Anonymous Stamps

My Lone Wolf Designs Design Team Showcase for this month features cards created with Spellbinders Nestabilities and Stampers Anonymous Stamps.

The main set of Nestabilities that I am featuring is the "A2 Curved Matting Basics A" set. This set includes 8 dies to create perfectly spaced 1/4" layers for your cards. If you prefer narrower layers, there is also a "B" set, when used in conjunction with the "A" set, would give you 1/8" layers.

For this first card, I used the 4 largest dies in the set. I used the largest one to cut a card base out of black cardstock. I then cut the rest of the layers with the next 3 dies. I used Black Soot Distress Ink on all the edges. I stamped the sentiment (Stampers Anonymous "Way With Words") with Black Versafine Ink first and then used the die to cut around it. If you stamp first and then cut the shape out, it is easier to get your sentiment in the middle of your shape. And, I didn't notice until I took the picture, but my layers are crooked. *sigh* All my projects tend to lean towards the right a bit.


This picture is a close up of the (crooked!) layers. One of the great things about Spellbinders is that they not only cut, but they can emboss as well. I think the embossed edge is a nice touch to the layers. The Spellbinders website provides a Spellbinders Compatibility Chart to ensure you get the proper "sandwich" when stacking your layers for cutting and embossing in your particular machine.


This card uses one of the dies from the Matting Basics set and also a die from the "Lattice Rectangles" set. I used DCWV The Linen Closet Mat Stack and inked all the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink. The quote on this card is also from the Stampers Anonymous "Way With Words" set. I believe the sketch is from SplitCoastStampers, but I'm not sure. I didn't have a name on it in my file.


TIP: You can use washi tape to temporarily adhere your die to your stamped image. This ensures that the die won't move around while you are getting it from your work surface to your die cut machine.


The lattice rectangles have LOTS of little pieces that have to be punched out. I ran the die through my CuttleBug twice to make sure all those little pieces cut through. The hard part is getting them all cleaned up after you punch them out from the die! You just need a sharp-pokey-tool (that would be the technical term) to release them from the die. I used the end of a wooden skewer.


Here is a close up of the die cut and embossed layers. I attached the sentiment with foam tape.


I love making cards with layers and I think the embossed layers that you can make with the Matting Basics set will help me to quickly create cards that have perfectly spaced layers. It's easy to mix and match different sets to create the perfect card for any occasion.

Many of the supplies I used for my project can be ordered or purchased (at 25% off MSRP!) through Kris at Lone Wolf Designs. Please join the Facebook Group Lone Wolf Designs Discount Retail Sales to make a purchase. If you are a crafter and haven't joined us yet, you are paying TOO MUCH for your supplies!

6 comments:

  1. Great job DeAnna!! Love the cards... Great tip too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card and tutorial DeAnna !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your technical term! I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I've seen wax paper recommended to help get die cuts out of dies. I didn't have any when I needed to cut out some ties for my shirt cards.
    Your cards are wonderful. I've wondered how the matting basics sets worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard about the wax paper, too...I just forgot about it! LOL That Matting Basics set is awesome. I can't wait to get the other set, since I prefer the narrower borders. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment. ;)

      Delete