Thursday, March 28, 2013

PopulArt Swap: Altered Composition Book

One of my current crafting goals is to go "shopping in my stash" and not go out and buy so much for the swaps I'm participating in this year. For this project, I spent a grand total of $3, and that was only because I had to re-make the journal. I absolutely hated the first one I made (paid $2 for that one!) and had to run out to the Dollar Tree the other day to purchase another composition book.

This is an altered composition book for the March PopulArt swap at Your Paper Pantry. My swap partner is Cari and she pretty much let me have free reign for the design. We had to cover the front and back, include pockets and ephemera, and ink/distress the edges of the book and/or pages. The base is just an ordinary black and white composition book. I paid $1 for it at The Dollar Tree. The paper I used is K&Co KP Blossom. I love all the bright fun colors. It definitely reminds me of spring! I added some green botanical print washi tape to cover the seam where the paper me the black binding of the book. The edges of the cover and all the pages are inked with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. I didn't take any pictures of the inside pages, but I just grabbed a few stamps and used Archival ink to stamp a few sentiments throughout the book.

I used grungeboard letters for the title and the little butterfly in the upper right corner is grungeboard, too. I painted them with white acrylic paint and then inked the letters with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink and the butterfly with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink. I used Glossy Accents to adhere the grungeboard to the cover. The heart bling is Basic Grey.

I covered this large flower with Crackle Accents. I love how it turned out!

This is the inside of the front cover. I added a piece of washi tape to the inside so that it matched the front cover.
Inside the back cover I made a pocket out of an envelope. I sealed the envelope and cut off both of the short ends. I folded one end up about 2" and glued it down. I then attached pieces of patterned paper and glued it the inside of the back cover.

The pockets hold a photo mat for a 4"x6" and a 4"x4" photo. I included a glassine bag filled with cut-apart tags from the paper collection. I used a piece of the washi tape to keep the bag closed.

And here is the back cover.

I hope you enjoyed my altered composition book. Thanks for stopping by! If you have made an altered composition book, I would love to see it. Please leave a link in the comments below.

If you aren't a member of the Lone Wolf Designs Discount Retail Sales Facebook Group, you are paying too much for your supplies! Kris offers all your favorite crafting supplies at 25% off MSRP.


  1. You did a great job with this! I love that paper. I think the crackle accents added just the right touch to that gorgeous flower, too. :-)

  2. DeAnna I love it. Really pretty paper and I love how you added pockets too. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.